Wednesday, January 6, 2010

booked up for winter

As promised, I am sharing some of the lovely books I received over the holidays (all of them from Roger, except the one on the far left). It is a random lot... but a peak into my love for all kinds of books, and perhaps my odd personality and likes. My hubby sure knows me well. ;)

1. First up, is "The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Prisoner's Dilemma" by Trenton Lee Stewart. Ok, so I admit, I love reading young adult books, and young reader books. And now that the Harry Potter series has long been finished, I have moved onto this series (this one is the third in the series)... the Twilight series will have to wait.

2. "Hot Hot Hot! Cooking with Fire and Spice!" by Paul Gayler. So I guess you now know we like spicy food. I think this book is a hint from Roger for me to cook up more spicy things. Oh caliente!

3. "+0086:Beijing Cool" by Timezone 8. Jam packed with photos of street fashion from Beijing, China... this book is so fun to look at. Lots of great outfits, art, and visual and graphic eye candy.

4. "Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip" by Tove Jannsson. Love this one. It is a series of comics, originally published in Sweden, of a family of white round hippo-like characters who have many adventures... (I am really shortening it here, since I could go on and on)... but the illustrations and stories are very sweet.

5. "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. Ok, so this one was technically from a friend for my birthday (in October)... but I am finally getting around to reading it now, so I am including it in the pile. Only half way through so far... and I need to finish it before the film comes out and changes the version I have in my brain.

Looks like I am "booked" up for the winter! Sorry... I couldn't resist that bad pun.

29 comments:

Christie Cottage said...

I had to laugh when I read your post on "The Lovely Bones"! It is so true, a movie can ruin the version we have played out in our minds!

Happy reading!

Kristen said...

I just finished 'The Lovely Bones' and it was a heartbreakingly beautiful story - quickly went into my top ten list for favorite books. I, like you, wanted to make sure to finish it before seeing the movie. :)
Happy reading!

Stacey said...

Moomin is so cute, my sister brought back a dish and book from her travels once, I love them!1

Rainy Day Gardener said...

The pun is great! What a varied and interested collection of books to keep you busy this summer! Lovely Bones is something I've been thinking of reading too..but I have a few new books from the holidays to read as well. Got my teen angst in last year when I gobbled up the Twilight Series ;)

Piggy said...

That's cute! Love the Moomin book. You are so lucky to receive all these great books. I am glad you are all "booked" up ;) Have fun!

God Bless
Alice
http://piggylittleshop.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Piggy
http://twitter.com/piggylittleshop

Unknown said...

love the Moomin' illustration style!

Bonzai Beadwear said...

Loved the Lovely Bones! I hope they do a good job with the movie!

Anonymous said...

Cool books!! :)

Southern Belle said...

Interesting books :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic book choices. That Moomin sounds very interesting - will need to add that to my list!

Little Lovables said...

oh, they look wonderful! I think I need to pull out some books and read as well today, thanks for the idea

Almost Precious said...

Oh, my! Where do you ever find the time ? You amaze me what with your constantly creating things for your shop...and then there IS your etsy shop...doing shows, keeping up your fantastic blog...not to mention all the regular stuff like cleaning, cooking, laundry, shopping, having a life...uh, did I mention the occasional sleeping and eating ? Now I find out your a book worm too...are you an android ? =D

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Lovely Bones is an amazingly well written book and an intriguing and intense read. I am a little scared to see the movie, as the story is so heartbreaking.

I am reading "Open" by Andre Agassi, my son bought me for Xmas, absolutely fascinating, good easy read :)

Have fun reading all those books :) T.

TMCPhoto said...

how very varied.

I was worried when the LOTR movies came out for that very reason. I've read the Hobbit and the Trilogy over and over and over and I think a few more times after that :)

The first few readings after the movies had a cross over effect for me with movie images intruding on the images in my head, I read the books again later and found that my images were more predominant again.

Jane said...

Your post reminds me - I must get some more books. They all look so interesting.

readingsully2 said...

Have a good read. :) I just decided to try downloading the ebooks from my local library for free. I will let you know how it goes. I have read the Lovely Bones and the Twilight Series. :)

Nikki said...

I don't have time to read but I'm interested to know what spicy recipes are in the cookbook. Hope you share on the blog some of the creations.

jdavissquared said...

looks like a great pile! i read the lovely bones a couple of years ago...i can barely remember it. maybe i should read it again before the movie!

Anonymous said...

looks like a great mix - enjoy!

Tessa said...

You have great taste! I agree - I have to read the book before the movie, or else... ;)

Anonymous said...

Very eclectic loot here :) Variety is the spice!

The Little Fox said...

Ooooooh I just love Moomin! And just look at all those other ones you 've got! My, you are one lucky girl! :)

Rheea said...

Wow.. so many books to read! I love to read too..everywhere I go, I have to carry a book with me (is that how the name 'bookworm' came about?) In fact, one of my dreams is to open a cosy bookstore in the near future. :)

Happy reading~~ Oh and pls don't put 'Twilight' on hold for too long. I've read all four of them and I'm going to read them for the second time. See, this is how good they are. ;)

Rheea

our little love nest said...

Love it!! Moomin is the cutest! Will have to do some book shopping myself. xoxo
(loving catching up on your blog after our holidays)

SeeJennRead said...

I'm so glad someone else likes the "Benedict Society" books! I bought the 3rd one a while back, but have been waiting for time to reread the first 2 first. :) You should try the "HIVE" books by Mark Walden too...they were really good.

And I too loved "Lovely Bones".

Ilena said...

What a great reading collection! I'm glad to see there are other adults that also enjoy reading young adult novels.

Vivi said...

What a fun collection! I love getting books as gifts especially when the choice really does reveal how someone thinks of you... It can be so telling! Happy reading :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Lovely Bones. The film comes out this week over here. I am definitely going to see it. Enjoy reading! I have a stack of books to get through as well.

Robert W. Leonard said...

I got lots of new books too, not like I really needed any. I don't really do resolutions for new year, but I would really like to sit down and read more often. Enjoy!