Thursday, January 28, 2010

dark dark musical

Last week, Roger and I attended the Arts Club Theatre Company opening of the play Nevermore: The Imaginary Life and Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe, part of this year's Push Festival (International Performing Arts Festival). Presented as a musical fable for adults, the play was packed full of gorgeous goth inspired costumes (think Tim Burton meets Vivienne Westwood), creative sets and props, and a dark story line following the fictional tragic life story of Edgar Allan Poe.

It dawned on me while we were sitting in the audience that this was the third musical I had seen this year. (Ok, I am including 2009 here, so I don't actually mean 3 musicals in January... that would be scary). Anyways, that is a record for me, considering I am not a huge fan of musicals... I sometimes/often get a little weirded out when there is all singing and no dialogue. Hmmm... maybe I'm softening. Nahhhh... I think I would still squirm at Cats.

Photo by Sean McLennan

13 comments:

Christie Cottage said...

It's funny, some musicals are actually good. I love Edgar Alan Poe.


Have a great day!

http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

Piggy said...

Wow.. I love musicals. It's been a while since I went to see one. The last one that I watched was Cinderella.

I have not watched a DARK musical before but I am sure it is interesting.

God Bless
Alice
http://piggylittleshop.blogspot.com/

Robert W. Leonard said...

I love musicals, I bet this one was fascinating. It's cool that you go see them even as someone who is not a huge fan. It's good to support local arts like that. I hope they start to grow on ya! :)

Pattie said...

That sounds cool!
I for one love musicals! And, somewhere oddly in my mind states that if a play has to have some type of semi-musical aspect...

But I wanted to stop by and thank you for the kind words on my birthday!

And, yes I had a very lovely day :)

kayjayoh said...

That looks like it was amazing. I am officially envious.

Mattamorphis said...

I wanted to be in Bye Bye Birdie when I was a kid. I really just wanted to wear the jeans the kids did in the play.

Total vanity

Kathryn Dyche said...

I'm not a huge fan of musicals but the costumes do look amazing. Talk about inspiring. :0)

Victoria said...

I think I have mentioned it on your blog before, but I went to see Les Mis by the Arts Club during the summer and I thought it was awesome! The singing dialogue did take some getting used to - as opposed to a play with interspersed songs - but I thought they were so talented. I wish I was in town to see this play, it looks so interesting! I think I need to make it a point to go see more theatre. :o)

tattytiara said...

That's a beautiful image. I need to stop saying that I need to start attending more live entertainment again and actually start doing it!

Anonymous said...

I like some musicals, it just depends. Love Xanadu, Grease, The Music Man. I don't think I'd do Cats either ha :) A Poe musical sounds neat!

LuliBags said...

This looks amazing, although I'm with you on the squirm issues! Ha.

Lonesome Road Studio said...

Wow, I've never heard of it - it sounds like something I'd love to see. I like your description of the costumes "Tim Burton meets Vivienne Westwood" - !

Kelley said...

Tim Burton meets Vivienne Westwood? That sounds incredibly awesome.