Thursday, November 12, 2009

fiery day

So I am a bit late with the post today... woke up to no power. Turns out there was a huge fire a couple of blocks away from our place early this morning that destroyed five small businesses... including one of my fave diners, Slickety Jim's Chat N' Chew... yikes! Ironically, our condo building's fire alarms are being tested today... so I get the pleasure of hearing sporadic piercing alarms while I work... oh goody. So, I think today is a good day to have a pretty pic to look at... something relaxing and pretty to counter today's chaos and noise.

8 comments:

M.M.E. said...

That's awful! I know what you mean about fire alarms. Last year while I lived in the apartments on campus, they kept getting pulled by stupid students and the firemen got so annoyed with us that they took 45 minutes to come turn them off. There's no joy in standing outside at 11pm in 10 degree weather for 45 minutes.

Fern said...

WOW! I agree :) Something pretty to look at always helps... so does taking deep breaths :) Glad your power's back up!
31everything.com

tattytiara said...

Ack! I remember waking up and seeing and smelling thick, acrid smoke one morning. No idea where the fire was to this day, but fire doesn't have to be very close to be too close to home, that's for sure. Glad you weren't any closer.

That really is a very potent mellow inducing photo. I like it.

Caroline said...

Wow, yikes! I hope those business owners had insurance, poor folks. :(

Holly said...

Oh wow, I hate it that your block lost 5 businesses. I feel terrible for the people who will have to start all over now. Hopefully they have good insurance. Good luck with trying to stay relaxed, and thanks for the pretty picture!

Rainy Day Gardener said...

Might be a perfect afternoon for a long walk & fall photo taking :)

David Burns Smith said...

Gotta admit, sounds exciting.

Stacey said...

:( sadness for those small businesses, lovely calm photo.