Wednesday, November 11, 2009

i love mitten


A conversation a few years ago between a coworker and I, as I was surfing on ebay:

Coworker: I see you are on ebay... you sure can find some crazy stuff on there
Me: Yeah... it's great
Coworker: Did you buy anything?
Me: Yeah.. I just ordered a DVD
Coworker: Oh, which one?
Me: You probably haven't heard of it...
Coworker: I'm sure I have... I'm a movie geek... what is it?
Me: It's a DVD of 1960s Russian stop motion animation for children by Roman Kachanov
Coworker: {Dead Silence and blank stare}

I had to get the DVD... it has one of my all time favorite animation shorts on it... Mitten (or Варежка in Russian). About a little girl who's winter mitten magically transforms into a knitted puppy, the 1967 Roman Kachanov 10 minute stop motion piece will warm your heart (good for the little kiddies too, since there is no dialogue). Take a break and watch it here... it will make you smile.

19 comments:

Fern said...

Oh man... TOO cute! It did make me smile after all :) What a cute idea. I wish animations were that cute & innocent still today. Thanks for sharing.

Angela said...

I hope you enjoy your movie!! I got addicted to eBay once...I just had to walk away.

Penny Paperworks said...

sounds way cool! Daialogue too funny...and I LOVE hte desk calender below!

M.M.E. said...

So cool! I love stop-motion animation movies.

Caitlin said...

Ah! I want it too!

Sherryl said...

I'll go to the site when the kids are asleep. Love your recommendations!

Christie Cottage said...

Cute!

I have to stay off ebay. I would be sitting here and the next thing I knew there would be a bid from me... LOL

Almost Precious said...

Sigh...yes, where has the innocence of today gone ? Too bad that society today is so intent on making children grow up before they can even enjoy being a child to enjoy the magic and make-believe.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet video. And I needed a smile too, so thanks.
:)


Janell

Unknown said...

how sweet!

hannah, heart city said...

adorable! so glad i stumbled upon this

Annette said...

Awwww....I'm so glad I took the time to watch! Thanks!

JLR Designs said...

Very sweet. I love it!

readingsully2 said...

Valerie, that is such a cute video. Imagination is a wonderful thing. :)

Alix said...

oh my gosh, amazing!!!

Melissa Lisbon said...

Thanks so much for sharing this amazing little film - it's just precious!

jokemijn said...

it looks adorable!

Fernanda Frick said...

Omg! I didn't know about this one, and yeah I would also say that I'm a movie geek >> specially on animation haha. I loved it ;_; everything was so cute and well done, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

aww this looks right up my street! Wish I could see it!