Monday, November 2, 2009

ravishing beasts


As an answer to what we did this Halloween weekend: we went to the Museum of Vancouver to check out their new exhibit Ravishing Beasts - an extensive collection of taxidermy from the 1890s to 1950, followed by a screening of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho... a great combo indeed! Seeing all the life-sized stuffed animals was a bit creepy, but pretty interesting, since it gave everyone a sense of scale of some of these large beasts. And the bonus was, I finally got to see Psycho in its entirety (yes, I must have been one of the last few on earth who hadn't seen it)... and it was great!... love how the taxidermy theme ran through the whole night.... spooky!

18 comments:

Brittney said...

Sounds like a blast! I love the tiger photo especially.

BeckyKay said...

What a clever combination! :)

audreyscountrycrafts said...

Nice heads? Love the tiger though! Hubby and sons do hunt a bit, don't have any heads yet though.

Julie Costanzo said...

That top photo is amazing. It's so strange to see those busts on a stark white background instead of wood paneling!

M.M.E. said...

Wow. What an interesting combination. Don't feel bad, I still haven't seen Psycho. But then again, I don't do scary movies.

ourlittlelovenest said...

What a perfect way to spend Halloween! Awesome! xoxo

Victoria said...

...there's a museum in Vancouver?

customdesigns4ubynan said...

I love Vancouver - it's been years since I was there. What fun to see Psycho for the first time, and on a big screen. I kind of envy you...

MOLLYC said...

What a great way to spend Halloween! Looking at taxidermy always reminds me of that line from "Beauty and the Beast," I think, when the oafish romancer says, "I use ANTLERS in all of my decorating!"

Holly said...

That sounds very creepy indeed, but also very fun. You know what I think the eeriest thing about taxidermy is? The eyes. They always seem so real.

happileah said...

Sounds like a fantastic, creepy night,for sure.

SleightGirl said...

Neat! My grandfather was an amature taxidermist.

tattytiara said...

That's a brilliant idea for an evening!

Rainy Day Gardener said...

You take the cake for the most interesting Halloween activities!!

Unknown said...

Ravishing Beasts?! I wish I lived in Vancouver! Awesome. I love taxidermy. :)

Vivi said...

Oh, I love it! This is so very cool. So glad you shared, but what did you wear??

Samantha said...

Woah, look at that tiger!

Taxidermy always makes me nervous. My husband's family is big on hunting and collecting animals, there are bears, moose, deer tacked all over the walls. His aunt even has a whole lion in her living room.

readingsully2 said...

I hate seeing that tiger like that...well, all of the animals....but museums are wonderful.