Wednesday, November 25, 2009

to toronto and back

Last Thursday, we flew half way across the country to Hamilton and Toronto, Ontario... my sister was getting her masters degree in physiotherapy, so we made the trek to watch her take her walk during the ceremonies. Anyhoo, some pics to share... although not many, since sadly our little camera experienced a bit of a tumble off of the tripod on our first night there. Managed to get a similar camera, once in Toronto, so there are a few pics...

Here is the shot of the CN Tower... we didn't get a chance to make it up this time, so that will have to wait until another trip.
We stayed in the Queen Street West neighborhood, which is the art and design area of the city... lots of cool little shops, restaurants and bars. While I was in the hotel room one night, Roger went to the corner store down the street to grab a snack. He came back to tell me saw George Stroumboulopoulos (from CBC's The Hour... one of my fave shows) standing in line in front of a bar.. and by the time he passed by on the way back, George was gone. Argh! I missed him! (I will meet you one day, George!)
This is a shot of downtown near the corner of Yonge and Dundas... lots of people, hustle and bustle, and bright lights. Oooooh... Ahhhhh....
Again, same corner, but thought I would throw this in to add some holiday spirit.
We stayed at the Gladstone Hotel, which was super cute... each room has a different artist-designed room. Ours was called E-Le-Men-Tal... these pics are from their website, since they are better than the ones we took. Wish out trip wasn't so short, and I wish I had some more pics to share... but perhaps all the good reason to visit again!

17 comments:

Luna Moon said...

Those photos are gorgeous my favorite is the last one the swirl on the wall is absolutely stunning,I am not even sure what they are made our of or what to call them but I like them a lot.

Annette said...

I love the downtown night time picture! Looks like you had a great time!

Rainy Day Gardener said...

Hamilton! That's where my Mom's family lived for 13 years after they immigrated from Holland!

Btw ~ that is a fantastic looking hotel room! Great pics!

happileah said...

I love Toronto. Back in the day, when I was younger & cooler & care free, I spent every weekend there...ahh.

Looks like a fun hotel, for sure.

Congrats to your sister!

Knotted Nest said...

Thanks for making our city look so lovely!

It sounds like George Stroumboulopoulos is your personal Polkaroo.

Almost Precious said...

Great photos, but sorry to hear about your camera...I hate it when things like that happen.

The decor of the hotel room is fantastic, reminds me a little of your art work, those cute little swishies. =D

Sandrine said...

Thanks for the little visit !

AMIdesigns said...

Congrats to your sister - I am a physiotherapist so I appreciate all the hard work she's done :)
Love those pics, the colour of the sky is stunning

Erica said...

wow~! that hotel is beautiful!

(my blog is www.acrylicandsteel.blogspot.com)

Southern Belle said...

Great photos. Love the hotel photo

Sharon said...

Looks like a fun trip!

Fern said...

Super cute hotel indeed! LOVE the modern pieces with that old brick :) Delicious together!!!! :) Happy Thanksgiving :)
31everything.com

Unknown said...

AUUUUGH that's so EXCITING!

(well, exciting for me too, i get a little thrill when bloggers i read come to my city).

i'm glad you had a great time - i met george once at a filming of much on demand (or something.. i was in grade 10) and it was super exciting.

great to hear that you enjoyed your time here!

Anonymous said...

Toronto - one of my favorite cities. Congrats to your sister.

Unknown said...

Beautiful pics & shop! I grew up in the Pac. Northwest as a kid.

kate / tinywarbler said...

fun room! we stayed at the galdstone too this summer when were there.
i really like that part of town.
have fun at toque- i'll be there and i'll try to say hi! (i'm really shy..)

readingsully2 said...

Oh, I love that hotel...really neat. Congrats tp your sister too. :)